Presenting Standard Tort Claims

The Revised Code of Washington, Chapter 4.92, requires the LOTT Alliance to receive and process citizens’ standard tort claims. For those wishing to file a claim, state law requires citizens to present the Standard Tort Claim form to LOTT. The law also requires LOTT to post the Standard Tort Claim form on its website with instructions as to how it is to be presented. In compliance with these requirements and for convenience of citizens, LOTT developed Standard Tort Claim forms.

  • State law requires an original signature on the Standard Tort Claim forms. This means Standard Tort Claim forms cannot be submitted electronically (either fax or email).
  • The Standard Tort Claim forms must be signed by the Claimant; or by a person holding a written power of attorney from the Claimant; or by the attorney in fact for the Claimant; or by an attorney admitted to practice in Washington State on the Claimant’s behalf; or by a court-approved guardian ad litem on behalf of the Claimant.
  • The length of the Standard Tort Claim investigation varies greatly depending on the complexity of the issues and the availability of documents and witnesses to support causation and damages. A Standard Tort Claim can be resolved and closed quicker when all relevant information and documents are provided initially for the investigator’s consideration.

How to Make a Request

If you wish to present a Standard Tort Claim to LOTT, please complete the Standard Tort Claim forms. The forms require an original signature, signed in the presence of a notary. LOTT will acknowledge receipt of a Standard Tort Claim by letter to the Claimant. You can submit the Standard Tort Claim forms to the LOTT Alliance by:

  • Mailing the forms to the LOTT Alliance at 500 Adams Street NE, Olympia, Washington, 98501
  • Delivering the forms in person to LOTT's Administrative Office

Business hours are Monday through Friday, 8 am to 5 pm. The business office is closed on weekends and observed holidays. Please call (360) 528-5730 for questions about claims.

Standard Tort Claim Form (PDF)